Last year when I shot at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City everywhere I went people were asking me for photography tips. Their photos just plain weren’t coming out right at all. They were too dark, too light, out of focus, or had a bunch of motion blur. I’d do what I could in the 30 seconds I could spare, but that just wasn’t enough to really help them get fabulous photos of the runway and behind the scenes. So this year I’ve partnered with Calumet Photographic in New York City to teach a class that is designed for Fashion Bloggers, Beauty Bloggers, and PR reps that have the desire to get outstanding photos of what goes on during the glory that is Fashion Week in New York City.
Here’s what the class will cover:
- What to photograph at fashion week
- How to hold the camera
- Freezing motion – Shutter Speed – Shutter Priority
- Blurring the background – Aperture – Aperture Priority
- Autofocus settings – focus points and single shot versus continuous mode
- Getting color right – White Balance
- Adjusting automatic settings – Exposure compensation
- Camera sensitivity to light – ISO
- Image Quality – RAW vs JPG
- Gear – Lenses and Monopods
- Suggested editing software – Adobe Lightroom
- Image keywords for better search engine optimization
We’ll have model and fellow blogger Aisha Gunnell, who was in the recent Project Runway All Stars Finale, strutting her stuff so you can practice your runway skills and she will be sitting for headshots as well so you can practice behind the scenes shots. All you need for this class is a digital SLR camera (if you don’t own one you can rent one at Calumet). By the end of the class you’ll be getting shots you never dreamed possible that you will be proud to display on your blog. This 3-hour class will be taking place on February 2nd, 2013, from 1pm-4pm, at Calumet on 22 West 22nd Street and is only $59.95. To register for the class please visit Calumet’s registration page for the course here. Hope to see you there!